Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why I Wear a Fedora, and Why I Might Stop Wearing It

When I was still a wee child, my dad and I used to watch black-and-white detective noir films, and I thought it was awesome. Then, I discovered old issues of Detective Comics. Yeah, it had Batman, but it also featured detectives. And what do most detectives wear? Fedoras.

When I had my hands on some history books, I found out that people used to wear hats because it was the standard protocol. And I found it rather cool. I wanted a fedora but didn't get one. Why? I was 8. Ish. Or 7. I can't remember.

High school. Went goth. Saw Blues Brothers. It had my three loves: blues, harmonicas and fedoras. Fast forward college. The goth old me from high school went old school. REAL old school. I mean, I'm not the type that goes to Hot Topic and says shit like "My world's so dark you can't see it!". No. I spoke like a normal person. But I dressed full black. But comfortable. I don't need to look like an idiot wearing leather/PVC under the hot sun. And I seldom wear make up. Being naturally pale has it's benefits. But enough of that...

As I was saying, I was in the University Library, scanning for some good books at the recreational fiction section. Found some Bradbury, found some Hemingway, found some of shitty Anne Rice novels (I HATE YOUR ENTIRE BODY OF WORK!), and finally, I stumbled upon a dainty little book called "Pulp Fiction". It was a collection of actual pulp fiction spanning at least 5 decades. Memories of my childhood went haywire. I need a fedora. And it had to be black.

Now, to the second part of the title: "why I might stop wearing it".
Douchebags. Yeah, there, I said it. Fuck you, you idiots who wear the fedora for no good reason, not thinking about the actual functionality of the goddamned hat! The hipsters don't deserve the name! YOU RUINED THE PORK PIE HAT! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING! DAMN YOU!

No comments: